Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"Unprocessing" Foods -- Entry 4 (Shredded Cheese)


Over half of the year is gone & I must finish out my New Year's Resolution of ridding our cabinets of six processed foods.  The list thus far goes as follows:

1.) Jams & Jellies
2.) Salad Dressings
3.) Taco Seasoning
4.) Shredded Cheese

Though shredded cheese is extremely tempting for its convenience, I have resolved to take the extra time to shred my own.  If I have a small amount to shred, I use my hand shredder.  If I have more, I use my Cuisinart Food Processor.  Personally, I do not like to do it ahead of time as it just doesn't seem as fresh.  Pre-packaged shredded cheese has a powdery substance to keep it from clumping.  I have been shredding my own cheese now for some time & don't even think twice about it.  Well worth the little effort!

No comments: