Tuesday, March 26, 2013

"Unprocessing" Foods -- Entry 2 (Salad Dressings)


My second food to "unprocess" (see previous post) was very appropriate for us lettuce farmers!

Two: Salad Dressings

I have often looked at the ingredients in processed dressings & shudder.  I cannot pronounce most of the ingredients.  However, I never could find a recipe that was easy enough (i.e. neither complicated nor messy) & tasted good enough for me to make day after day.  But, I found one!  This is my favorite -- hands down.

2 parts good extra virgin olive oil **
1 part red wine vinegar
Honey, to taste

Whisk with a fork until creamy & enjoy.
Time: Hmmm....30 seconds

** Olive oil -- we use it a lot.  I buy two kinds -- a cooking kind & an "uncooking" kind.  If I am cooking with olive oil, I use something that is inexpensive as it becomes partially lost in the food.  However, if I am using it for something such as a dressing, I spend more money.  Unfortunately for us, we used up my brother-in-law's olive oil gift from South Africa so now we are buying the "Filippo Berio" brand.   We like the flavor.

Freddie has his own favorite dressing recipe, which I will post later.  Also, we have some recipe cards of it at the stand.  The book above was given to us by my sister last week.  Very neat!  There are dressing recipes in there that I am eager to try.  Will keep you posted!

No comments: