Tuesday, March 19, 2013

"Unprocessing" Foods -- Entry 1 (Jams & Jellies)



Normally, I never share my New Year's Resolutions, but I am going to break that rule today.  This year, I resolved to quit buying six different types of processed foods, one every two months.  Being that we hardly eat anything boxed or canned anymore, I am having to dig pretty deep into my pantry.  So, I decided to share my progress with you.

One: Processed Jams & Jellies

Strawberries are in season for us in Florida so it was a perfect time for me to make my first freezer jam.  I could not believe how easy it was & am sorry I haven't done it before.  I got a tip from a friend that allows you to make fresh jam all year round!  She washes her berries, crushes them, & freezes them in 2 cup portions.  Then, when a batch runs out, she can easily make another fresh batch from the delicious berries that were in season!  I love it.  The jam is extremely "strawberry" from the in-season berries.  (Thanks, Karen!) Here is the recipe from Sure-Jell (and my mother says don't bother using anything else!)

2 cups fresh crushed strawberries
(about 1 qt. whole berries--the riper the better)
4 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 pkg SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin

Wash berries & discard stems.  Measure out exactly 2 cups of berries.  Crush berries thoroughly.  (I used a hand potato masher.  If you like smoother jam, blend the berries.)  Stir in sugar.  Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Mix water & pectin in a small saucepan.  Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly.  Continue boiling & stirring for one minute.  Add to fruit mixture; stir for 3 minutes or until most of the sugar is dissolved.  Fill clean small Ball jars or plastic containers to within 1/2 inch of the top.  Wipe of top edges of containers.  Cover with lids immediately.  Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours.  Jam is ready to use.  Store in refrigerator up to three weeks or in a freezer for up to a year.

Being only Freddie & me, I actually halved the recipe.  (Yes -- I even halved the Sure-Jell package!)



No comments: