Friday, October 18, 2013

A Perfect Gift -- and not just another cookbook!


A special friend of mine gifted me this cookbook when I was about 30 years old.  Up until this time, I had not needed to have any cooking expertise (I escaped it that long :).  I always said I didn't enjoy cooking but I realize in hindsight that it was simply because I didn't know how.  I read this book from front to back.  It is most interesting (even for the experienced cook), starting with giving a list of the essential equipment & tools of any kitchen, a list of the three basic knives, etc.  One particular section that I love is the vegetable pages.  The book takes one vegetable per page teaching you how to buy & prepare it and ways to it cook (with times!).  I'm blushing, but it was with this book that I learned to make mashed potatoes!  I can say now that I've come far beyond that & love to cook!

Here's a very condensed list of recipes from the book that are now my standbys (and pretty much committed to memory):

Potato Soup (yes, you've seen that on this blog)
Broccoli Soup
Orange-Glazed Pork Chops
Fried Rice
Potato Salad
Roasted Garlic
Spanish Rice
Beef Stew

(The only recipe that I did not care for was Turkey Salad with Fruit.)

So, if you need a gift for a new bride or graduate, this is perfect!  And if you want to take a peek for yourself, check it out at the library. (ISBN: 9-780028-624518)

No comments: