Thursday, August 15, 2013

"Eating on the Wild Side"



Here's a book I have on my "To Read" list.  I wish I had read it already & had a review for you.  Freddie was listening to NPR the other day & the author, Jo Robinson, was on Fresh Air.  He was sharing a little with me.  One of the interesting facts was about vegetable/fruit peelings.  She claims that most of the nutrients are in the peelings (specifically mentioning carrots).  I am assuming that she promotes buying organic/pesticide-free produce.  I believe this is one of the reasons people peel vegetables.

Therefore, this week we enjoyed Scalloped Potatoes & Ham with the peels intact.  It was just as delicious.  Also, we had Carrot & Raisin Salad -- carrots scrubbed but peels intact. (Note: I always buy organic carrots & celery as much for the flavor as anything.)

I will let you know when I finish the book!

No comments: