Monday, June 3, 2013

Okra Season

Here's my first okra of the season!  We no longer grow tomatoes & okra in our greenhouses so I decided to plant a few in my own little garden.  Last week, I got to pick my first one!  I read that you can store them unwashed in a Ziploc bag for up to four days in the refrigerator.  This will work well while I "collect" of few!  Next year, I think I'll plant a couple more plants. 


My absolute favorite way to eat okra is extremely easy to prepare.  Chop off the stem end & then slice them crosswise about 1/4" thick.  Put them in a mixing bowl & sprinkle them with coarse cornmeal.  The cornmeal sticks to the "goo" giving them a good coating.  Sprinkle with salt.  Then, put a very small amount of oil in a non-stick pan & saute them until brown.  Delish!! 

No comments: