Sunday, February 24, 2013

Kale Fried Rice


I wish I was a better photographer, but trust me, this is worth trying!  I feel like an advertiser for the food blog: www.iowagirleats.com but this, also, came from there.  We had it last week & I am planning on making it again this week.  The recipe calls for "mirin", a sort of sweet rice wine.  Being that I have an aversion to cluttering my refrigerator & pantry with one time used items, I chose to substitute.  I used 2 T of white wine & 1-1/2 tsp sugar.

3/4 cup rice of choice
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
4 cups of kale (next time I will use a lot more!)
4 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 T oil
1/2 small onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
Sesame seeds, for garnish, opt.

For sauce:
2 T mirin (or 2 T white wine + 1-1/2 tsp sugar)
2 T soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp maple syrup

Stir sauce ingredients together & save for later.  Cook rice in chicken broth according to instructions on package or use rice cooker (a 'staple' appliance in my kitchen).  When rice has 15 minutes left, boil water & salt in a large skillet or wok on medium-high heat. Add kale & cook no more than 4 minute, until tender. Drain.  When kale is cool enough, squeeze out water. I "unglobbed" the kale & tore it into bits.  Return empty skillet/wok to heat.  Heat oil & then add onions.  Saute about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Onions should be brown & be tender.  Add garlic & saute one minute more.  Add kale, saute 2 minutes.  Add rice & toss to combine.  And lastly, add sauce & take a deep wiff!!  Optional: season with sesame sees.  YUM!

No comments: