Tuesday, July 3, 2012

***Starring: Oregano***


Oregano is a wonderful herb to grow in the Florida environment.  It requires little care and management.  I basically ignore mine, besides watering it in the mornings on these very hot days.  Tonight we cooked spaghetti.  Fresh oregano always goes in ours!  I clip about three good size sprigs, rinse them and pluck the leaves off.  I use my ulu knife to chop it up.  That's the knife that I usually use for all my herbs.  (Google it -- it's a wonderful Alaskan native knife.)  We throw the oregano in the sauce after it is cooked.

Today I noticed that my oregano plant was growing wildly and needed a good trim.  Herbs like to be cut.  They seem to grow better when they are used.  I cut about 20-30 springs, rinsed them and placed them on a cookie sheet.  I place a paper towel under and over them.  They will stay there (on top of my top cupboards!) for about two weeks.  Then, I put them in jars and they are ready to use.  Obviously, fresh herbs are the best.  But, I am planning on using my dried oregano for the following:

Taco Spice Mix

1/4 cup red pepper flakes or chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
1/4 cup dried oregano
2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup onion powder
3 Tbsp salt

Makes 12 servings or uses.  To use, add 2 tablespoons to one pound of ground meat.  Mix well and then cook.  For dips, add 2 tablespoons to 1 cup sour cream or yogurt.

This is similar to what you buy in the packets at the store.  We do not care much for the flavor of the packets.  Usually, we use just a fraction of the packet anyway.  So, we are going to try this!

No comments: